Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Last Minute Dessert



So of course I forgot that I had offered to bring dessert to dinner at my dad's house and of course I remembered 20 minutes before I was supposed to be there. Rather than go out and buy something which would require both effort and money, I decided to make something using only found objects in my cupboard.

1 Pre-made Graham Crust (I had it, so why not use it)
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
12 Ounces of Bittersweet Chocolate
1 1/2 Cups of Heavy Whipping Cream
1/2 Half-and-Half
Dash of Salt
1/4 Cup Sugar

(recipe adapted from Bon Appétit)


Combine chocolate, vanilla and salt in food processor.


Heat 1 cup of heavy cream in a saucepan, bring to a boil. Slowly combine milk to chocolate while running the food processor until the chocolate is melted. Cool for a bit, until room temperature.


In a separate bowl, combine remaining heavy cream, half-and-half, and sugar. In the original recipe it calls for all heavy whipping cream, but I ran out so I substituted Half-and-Half (this is my version of cooking light). Beat milky-sugary mixture until it forms stiff peaks. Fold in melted chocolaty goodness into the milk-sugar mixture.


Pour mousse into your pre-made crust, or if you're an over-achiever your painstakingly prepared hand-made crust. Then, use the remaining cream to make whip cream and if you're feeling especially gourmet, shave some extra chocolate on top.





No comments:

Post a Comment